English Расширяем словарный запас (Страница 3) / Калейдоскоп / Трансерфинг реальности

Трансерфинг реальности

Привет странникам!

Вы не вошли.

#51 2017-01-07 19:07:28

Roza
Участник
Рейтинг :   1691 

Re: English Расширяем словарный запас

Мне эта цитата больше нравится - по поводу использования/неиспользования артиклей с названиями улиц/дорог/аэропортов.

These place names are used without "the" in sentences like "My flight is leaving from Heathrow Airport in forty minutes, and I'm only at Waterloo Station".

(The rest of this answer is describing usage in London and the south-east of England, since you are asking about London place names. Usage in other places is different! As Colin Fine points out in the comments below, usage differs even within the UK.)

Sometimes, you can say "the" before the name of a street. This is never compulsory (except in the special cases 4 and 5 below) but it can be done.

I do not know that there is a general rule about when this is permissible.

I suspect that the guiding principle is that sometimes, the name of the road coincides with the way you would describe it if it had no name -

the Edgware road (small r) is a decent way of talking about whichever road goes to Edgware, and so "the Edgware Road" can be used as well.

"The High Street" seems to work. This may be because "the high street" is a general term for the main street in a town.

Descriptive road names can take "the", like "the King's Road", "the Strand", or "the Embankment".

If it's X Road, and X is where the road goes, then you can often say "the X Road." But this probably only works for "Road", not "Street", "Lane", etc.

Some streets have "the" as part of the name. Example: The Mall. (We never say "I walked along Mall.")

For motorways and the like, we always say "the", as in "avoid the M25" rather than "avoid M25".

Here is an example, from The War of the Worlds (H. G. Wells, 1898):

There were one or two cartloads of refugees passing along Oxford Street, and several in the Marylebone Road, but so slowly was the news spreading that Regent Street and Portland Place were full of their Sunday-night promenaders ...
Oxford Street leads (eventually) to Oxford, but I have never heard it with "the". Marylebone is a region of London and it's where Marylebone Road is/leads. Regent Street and Portland Place are named after people, and are also not Roads.

Изменено Roza (2017-01-07 19:08:51)

2017-01-07 19:07:28

AdSence
Thanks to ads

Re: English Расширяем словарный запас

Users in this topic: 0 guests, 0 registered users

Подвал раздела